Trevor travels around the world playing piano and singing in various bars, restaurants and hotels These are his musings from his often interesting, amusing or mundane lifestyle...

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Prague

Vltava

I have been a little lazy lately (both with traveling and writing my blog) and so to kickstart some sightseeing and general activity, on Monday 13th August I made a last minute decision to go to Prague to visit my friends Cristina and Frank (colleagues from my first ship, the Paradise). This is my third time in Prague and it is a beautiful city, but it’s funny how differently I view a city when I am there to visit friends rather than sightseeing. I have already seen many of the major sights of the city, so this visit was mostly just walking around with Cristina while Frank was working, going to cafes and just hanging out and playing with their beautiful puppy, Diesel (I can’t believe how much he has grown since January!)

Frank and Cristina training Diesel (sml)

One fantastic surprise of the trip was that my friend Macca (a tour guide with Intrepid Tours) also happened to be in Prague that day in the middle of a week off work. It was great to have a coffee in Prague – just like the old days at BaDaBing, but on the other side of the world!

That night, I had a great Italian meal with Cristina and Frank followed by Mojito night at their local bar (literally in the next building from their house). I am so glad that Frank speaks Czech – it is a completely foreign language to me. Even pronouncing something from a menu is impossible for me. I was quite proud of myself for asking for some directions about catching a tram from the train station, even if it was in German. It is amazing that the 2 countries are so close and yet their languages are so different.

The next morning I did a bit of walking around the old town, mainly to take photos to prove that I had done some sightseeing! There are a ridiculous number of tourists in the city, though and that never makes me feel terribly safe – always on the lookout for pickpockets.

old town square (sml) old town square 2 (sml) astrological clock (sml) prague castle from charles bridge (sml) tourists on charles bridge (sml)

On the train journey home I had great intentions to finally finish the novel that I have been carrying with me for the whole trip so far and not enjoying very much, but it was much nicer to chat to the couple from Perth who sat next to me. They had 14 weeks in Europe and the USA and were on their way to Berlin in the middle of an amazing trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home