Trevor travels around the world playing piano and singing in various bars, restaurants and hotels These are his musings from his often interesting, amusing or mundane lifestyle...

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Book – Slaughterhouse Five
Kurt Vonnegut


My friend Rita gave me this book to read when she visited me in Dresden because it refers to the bombing of the city and seemed appropriate to read while we were both there. I had not read anything by Vonnegut before and I really enjoyed his quirky take on the structure of the novel.

The story is written with a very loose sense of chronology and centres on Billy Pilgrim and his life experiences which include time as a Prisoner of War in World War 2 Germany, an alien abductee, a plane crash survivor and a middle class optometrist with a wife and children.

It is an anti-war novel in many ways, but not in an aggressively political way. Many people die during the course of the novel and the narrator marks each one by saying “So it goes”. This serves as a reminder of how valueless life seems in war situations, but also gives each death greater importance.

It is difficult to say that I enjoyed this novel, but I am glad that I have read it. One of the critic quotes on the cover says “A funny book at which you are not permitted to laugh, a sad book without tears”. This is exactly how I felt about this book – not the most enjoyable read, but definitely an interesting one that has made an impression on me and will stay with me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAGH Vonnegut!
I studied some of him in first year uni with my 'contemporary english literature' unit. I hated him. Perhaps I should re-read and see if my older and ahem more mature self has a better appreciation. Or perhaps not. Maybe I jagged a dud and the rest of his stuff is better?!
I'm impressed at the numbers of books you are zooming through!

7:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS oops I should have signed that off. Too hasty with the 'publish your comment' button there.
Bec (Newman)

7:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home