Trevor travels around the world playing piano and singing in various bars, restaurants and hotels These are his musings from his often interesting, amusing or mundane lifestyle...

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Frederic the Bitten


Mural (sml)

There is a large mosaic / ceramic mural thing on the side of the Palace in Dresden (very close to my apartment) that I walk past every night on my way to and from work. It depicts the line of Saxon Princes (about whom I really know very little – apart from the fact that I guess this was their palace…) from the 12th Century to the late 19th Century (finishing with Albert and George… can anyone tell me if this is the Albert and George that wound up in the British monarchy? I overheard someone wondering if it was the Albert that married Queen Victoria…I should probably Google it… or at least have a vague idea of the chronology)

Anyway, back on topic… most of the princes pictured have some description of their notable values attached to their name. For example, such-and-such the Great is at the head of the procession and also found are whats-his-name the Wise, thingemijig the Just, whos-it the Courageous, Blah-blah the benevolent… and so forth… but there is one (and I have checked that my suspect German translation hasn’t failed me here) who is called Frederic the Bitten… (der Gebissene for those German speakers reading…) He makes me giggle every time I walk past. What or who bit him? And why? And was this really the most notable aspect of his princeliness??? His portrait on the mosaic / mural thingy doesn’t show any notable bite mark. No limbs lost or anything remarkable… I really want to know (again, Google is a possible solution, but it really is so passe… do we really need that many answers at our fingertips? Sometimes the fun is in the complete lack of knowledge)

Frederick the Bitten (sml)


It makes me wonder what my trait would be if I were ever muralized / mosaiced… Trevor the …

Maybe that’s actually appropriate as I really have used … way too much in this particular post…

Or maybe Trevor the … (completely irrelevant) …

PS Today I visited the Gallery of Old Masters in Dresden (a very good collection – including a Rembrandt – The Abduction of Ganymede - recently restored with remarkable colours – not at all like the dark somber paintings I usually associate with Rembrandt… or the boring etchings… oh and also including the Raffaello with those 2 famous cherubs at the bottom – brings back memories of Death By Chocolate…) and there was a reference to Frederic the Wise (in German: Freidrich der Gewissene)… I searched the mural for him tonight and couldn’t find him… What if Frederic the Bitten was just some terrible misprint??? Would that mean I could end up as Trevor the Piano-Player???

PPS I will add some pics when I actually take them…

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trevor the piano-layer??? Well, that depends on what you have been using the piano for? The name that immediately occurred to me was Trevor the Slack ( referring to your ability to answer emails, though you have improved lately!!) or Trevor the Pissed.......or Trevor the Kylie Worshipper....hmmmm.....we could start a competition on this, couldn't we? Hope your Christmas Day has been a good one, though far away from home.

12:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Further advantages of befriending geeks ... Poor Frederic, he was bitten by his mother! It seems he was the son of Albrecht the Degenerate (lovely sobriquet, that)and Margaret of Sicily. When she ran out on her cheating husband she became so emotionally overwrought that she bit poor Freddie on the cheek! In some cirles he's known as Frederic the brave, so I suppose we can assume he didn't cry when his mum got "cheeky."

7:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to be a comment hog, but you did ask: The Saxon King Albert wasn't Queen Victoria's Prince Consort, though he seems to have been a very nice fellow. So, his boy George (who wasn't in an 80's pop band - different Boy George) wasn't a British royal either.

However, while looking that up I did find a little Queen Vicky family gossip you might find interesting (or creepy): Albert's aunt, whose name was also Victoria, married Edward Augustus, the Duke of Kent and 4th son of King George III. Their daughter was the very Queen Victoria who would someday marry our Albert ... and his first cousin ... ew. Ah, royals! They sound so much like many of the great American families of the South.

1:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home